Monday, October 3, 2011

A Letter for a Gratitude Visit

A Gratitude Visit is an exercise developed by positive psychologists to help individuals increase their level of  happiness, albeit temporarily. In this exercise, the writer thanks someone through a letter. However, instead of sending it in the mail, the writer visits the person he or she is thanking and reads the letter to the person. 


Positive psychologists believe this activity increases the person's level of happiness because it enables them to feel connected and allows them to give something. Giving in itself, psychologists believe, makes people feel better, which then increases their level of happiness.


This letter was written by Lee Hye Han for her cousin, Regina.

Dear Regina,

Hi! What's up? I'm glad I came to the U.S. to stay with you for a while. And thank you for hanging out with me very often. You know when I came to New York, I didn't have friends. So I was glad I spent time with you.

Do you remember when I came to New York 7 years ago? I didn't speak English as well as now. My English has improved a little bit. Anyway, we had many problems when we talked. But now I'm studying and trying to speak English much better than before, and we can talk about a lot more things.

I appreciate everything you've taught me. When I needed to learn something, you taught me very kindly. Thank you for that.

And on my birthday, your family gave me a present. Thank you for my birthday present and the nice cards. I was thankful that you remembered my birthday. I'd like to stay in New York with you. When I go back to Korea, I can't forget being here and your kindness.

I feel gratitude toward your family. I wish you a lot of luck and happiness in life. Thank you, sweetheart!

With love,
Han

class: Contemporary Topics 1

No comments:

Post a Comment