Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Advanced Category Third Place Winner

     

Advanced Category Third Place: Elisa Casagrande

School: NYLC - Jackson Heights

Teacher: Benjamin Levy








    Technology is one of the best and smart invention of the history. With just a click we can catch our friends all around the World or check useful information wherever we are. It is obvious that technology has improved the ability to communicate. Information can run fast and we can share our feelings every moment more easily than before.

Despite that, there are downsides because of the technological overexposure. Devices like phones or computers are like an extension of our body and we feel “naked” if we do not have the possibility to check our Facebook profile 24-hours. It looks like we cannot “deal with the World” if  we do not write 140 types on twitter before.

Technology has helped me a lot. When I moved to NYC, technology has become fundamental for me. For moving it is also very important so that I can feel more comfortable and find the right way. But if I do not have access to the internet, it is a mess!
Once technology failed but it helped my ability to communicate. It is strange but it happened!
It was January and I had to pick up my sister at the airport. I have been in NYC since December, so I was very insecure with my English and transportation, too. Nevertheless, I did not feel worried because I had my phone and I could communicate with my husband, just in case. I studied the subway’s map. Not a big deal, I thought!

When I was on the platform to change train I realized that there were two signals for the same direction in both  the sides. I was not used to the New York’s subway system, so I tried to solve the problem with a phone application. Unfortunately, there was no coverage and the internet did not work, so I could not upload a map as well as call my husband. I did not have any choice: I had to ask information the old-fashioned way.

There was not a lot of people so I tried to ask an old refined man close to me. I found all the information I needed and, plus, I started an interesting conversation with him. Actually, he talked more than me, but it was a very good experience. He was going to the same direction so we did part of the ride together. He told me he was from India and he moved to NYC long time ago, as a businessman. He also asked me many questions but surprisingly I did not feel uncomfortable and I really do not why.

Unquestionably, technology helps us and in some situations it is essential. On the other hand, we are always connected and we are not used to start a conversation with strangers just because we do not need to do that. But sometimes we should try to turn off our “digital world” and look around.

For all these reasons, technology can help our ability to communicate in different and unexpected ways.  

No comments:

Post a Comment