Thursday, September 20, 2012

AN INTERN IN NEW YORK – 5


After 6 weeks in New York I felt the need to take a break from the chaos, that’s why I decided to visit Philadelphia last Sunday… New York Language Center helps its students organize trips to Washington DC, Philadelphia, Boston and Niagara Falls so, even though I still have plenty of things to do in New York, I was tempted to see how the US look like outside the Big Apple.
I recommend you to plan a trip in one of those cities. You usually go by bus, so you have the chance to have a quick look at real America… without skyscrapers and a lot of fast foods and malls. The thing that hit me the most in Philadelphia was the quiet, the fact that you could walk on empty pavements and the absence of a constant traffic noise. I almost forgot how relaxing it is to walk without fighting to clear your own space in the crowd and without rushing because there are thousands of things going on at the same time.
Philly (this is the nickname inhabitants have given to their city) is the perfect place to go if you like history – or Rocky Balboa J. The main places to visit are: the Liberty Bell - a symbol of American Independence, the Independence Hall - the location where both the Declaration of Independence and the United States Constitution were adopted. Do not forget The Philadelphia Museum of Art, known mostly because of the role it played in the Rocky films. I am sure everybody remembers Rocky’s character running up the front stairs… If you don’t feel like visiting the Museum you could also enjoy a walk in a lovely park right behind the museum or along the river.
Once I was back in New York I was ready again to take up the delirious and yet lush rhythm the city imposes on you, at least for the last two weeks I will be here...

Elisa

No comments:

Post a Comment