Tuesday, September 4, 2012

AN INTERN IN NEW YORK - 3




In New York the more you do, the more you would do and the excitement of doing and seeing spots you have always heard about becomes “addicting”. As the time goes by you also begin feeling like visiting places that are a bit less famous but still worth a visit.
For example, last week I had dinner on the Highline, an old railroad turned into a fascinating park. I bought food at the Chelsea Market, which is right under the beginning of the High Line (14th street – in the Meatpacking District) and then I had a relaxing walk among buildings and on New York City streets. On the Highline you get a really interesting perspective since you don’t see the skyline from the Hudson or on top of buildings, as new comers usually do (in fact as you may have read I did that 2 weeks ago), but you are right in the middle of the city. You can enjoy beautiful views in tranquility; you feel the city without being in the middle of the traffic and of the crowd, which was exactly what I needed. I recommend a visit (the NYLC organized one a couple of weeks ago) especially to those who are interested in architecture.


 
Thanks to the NYLC I found out that last Friday night there were fireworks in Coney Island, so I decided to go since I am mad about fireworks! It was a great activity because I had the chance to see a place which is not close to Manhattan (it takes an hour to get there by subway) and above all I saw the ocean for the very first time!! The atmosphere was enchanting: there was a full moon reflecting its white light on the ocean competing with the kaleidoscopic lights of the amusement park, that’s why the show actually began while waiting for the fireworks. I also had a hot dog at Nathan’s famous – I am not the hot dog kind of person but I have to admit that this one is really good and deserves its reputation. Amusement parks always put me in a good mood as they awaken the child in you. The Coney Island amusement park also gave me a sense of how Coney Island used to be at the beginning of the 20th century, because of old attractions such as the Cyclone and the Wonder Wheel.  It had been a great way to spend my Friday night!


Elisa

No comments:

Post a Comment