Saturday, June 4, 2011

The manta: a Moroccan folk object

In Morocco we have a traditional blanket called a manta. This folk object is always made of thick wool and is usually handwoven by old women. There are no typical symbols on it, but it is often made with white and black or brown stripes. When you touch it you can feel its roughness and when folded, it is very heavy to carry.

The manta is usually used for sleeping on the floor, and it is used as a mattress on the carpet. This blanket is most of the time passed down from generation to generation.

I remember once, when I was about five years old with my mother, we went to my grandma’s house. Every night for weeks, we slept on the floor using the manta. I loved to spread out the blanket on the living room floor; I folded it once crosswise. Then we put some pillows on it and lay down like in a bed. I think that made us closer.

submitted by ACB
class: Insights 1

No comments:

Post a Comment