Saturday, October 6, 2012

Feeling comfortable with the energy & the spirit of ambition in NYC


by Vanessa Rueda
Vanessa (third from left) at Bryant Park in Midtown with friends from NYLC 

Today is a special day. I arrived in New York 3 years ago today. It's been a while since I move here from Colombia, and I could write a book about it, but I definitely want to mention one thing that I really love about all my experiences in this city.

On so many occasions, days, parties, business meetings, I've witnessed the rhythm of the city, from personal experiences, professional ones, tourists, friends, everything. Everyone seems obsessed with the energy of New York and of course with the opportunities found here. What I really liked about being an outsider first was being able to see this city as a big chance for success and a powerful force. Later, when you really belong here and become a real New Yorker, you understand why everybody proudly mentions all about what they do or have done in the past or even what they will do to achieve prestige or success.

I've noticed every minute of this crazy, funny and tough city as it talks about this sense of achievement. It's like a mirror or like a fragrance; you always feel it. Even in the most fragile and tough minutes, you can smell an avid aroma.

In the beginning, I didn't like this at all. I remember being in a huge party, maybe it was my first big party. I was anxious because so many people asked me the same questions: so you came to study? What do you do for a living? So you are an artist? What kind of art do you do? What are your plans?

I still remember this and felt the pressure then, but the difference is I'm different now, and I get it. These questions (even if sometimes the people who ask are too focused on themselves to listen) push you to find your own answers, to find a way in this city, to actually find yourself and to finally be able to answer these questions.

So now I'm the one who asks. I understand the aim of asking and answering. It takes so long to feel comfortable answering the same questions, but at the same time, without them, I wouldn't have felt the motivation to achieve so many skills and goals not just professionally but also personally, making tons of things, learning from all these brilliant, kind, fearful people who work hard and stay humble.

I believe that curiosity and being a fulfilled human being are both key to being a good artist.


Vanessa is a fine artist and custom jewelry designer. She has her own line of jewelry. She is also the Arts Projects Coordinator at Sunday Morning NY. She's preparing to take the TOEFL in order to apply to a Master of Fine Arts program. She wrote this on September 25, 2012, the third anniversary of her first day in New York.

No comments:

Post a Comment