Tuesday, August 21, 2012

AN INTERN IN NEW YORK


Hi everyone,
my name is Elisa. I’m Italian, I graduated last year in Languages and Literatures and last week I began my internship at New York language Center in New York.
When I first got here I didn’t know whether I was more daunted or excited. This confusion in my mind was of course due in part to jet lag, but I now realize there was a deeper reason why I felt that way: New York, the city I have always dreamt of was right in front of me but it wasn’t as I imagined it to be. When you see it in movies, pictures or read about it, you just perceive its glamorous side; the noise, the traffic, the streets packed with people are factors which increase its charm. When you finally experience New York for real, all the symbols of the city, such as Time Square (which is close to the Midtown location of the NYLC!!), become overwhelming places where at first you can hardly walk or think because of the crowd and the noise. The book I am reading (“A house in New York”written by Adam Gopnik) helped me to realize how dense New York City can be, for a New Yorker too. So, once I understood that feeling overwhelmed is something you cannot probably avoid in this city, even though you are American, I little by little surrendered and the excitement got the upper hand.
Walking in the streets of New York City is dense and vertiginous because you feel you have so many possibilities here… New York language Center helps students understand that, and it did help me. Not only when you first arrive at the school is everyone kind and tries to make you feel at ease, but they also show you how many things you will have the chance to do while you stay in New York. In fact, every week they organize many interesting activities after the lessons. This is, I think, the best way to make friends, practice your English and familiarize with the Big Apple.

Next week I will tell you something more about the activities I have taken part in… I have tickets for the Copacabana Cruise and the Empire State Building. Can’t wait!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment